ST. STEPHEN’S CHURCH

3, D.H. Road, Kidderpore, Kolkata-700023 : Sunday Worship Service Timing – 7:30 am / 8:30 am HC

The foundation stone of this Anglican Church was laid on 6th January 1844, by the Governor General along with the Venerable Archdeacon and Rev. Thomas. The Church was consecrated in 1846. Actually this church was a favorite of seafarers, due to its proximity to the port and wharves on the Hooghly. Many of the plaques inside the church commemorate former parishioners who died at sea. This is a rather simple church of Gothic structure but with a very peculiar steeple. The tower of the church is shaped like a ship’s lantern of those days- so that the first sight as one approached the Calcutta port was the lantern shaped tower of the Church.
Structurally Gothic, but the internal layout is certainly different from any other Church in the Diocese. It has two closets, one on either side of the High Alter. This is unique. It is surmised that at the time of its inception, the Anglican Nuns would sit there during the worship service and receive the Holy Sacrament through the window that the closet has.
This Church originally might have been the chapel for the Governor General when residing in the Vice regal Lodge (which is now the National Library). In 1848, it was established as a Chaplaincy and later in 1870 it became a parish church. The church has always maintained the High Anglican traditions in its worship services-Matins, Said-Eucharist, Sung-Eucharist and Evening-Song.
As a parish church, in those days it catered for a wide cross-section of society, i.e., the sea-farers, employees of Bengal Nagpur Railways HQ as well as of Garden Reach, local British residents, Anglo-Indians and of course, the staff and students of St. Thomas School Kidderpore. For obvious reasons the congregation started dwindling since the 1960s. As the congregation has come down to as little as eighty communicant members only. Many of them are retired or are students studying in schools or colleges.
The buildings, both of the church and the personage, are in a dilapidated state because of a lack of funds for regular maintenance. The Parsonage is now sadly abandoned. Some immediate constructive steps are needed to save these heritage properties for posterity to know what importance our forefathers assigned to this Church! Even though the succeeding Church Committees have done their best in the upkeep of the building, with each passing year, the task is proving to be an uphill one. The structure, which till now has withstood the ravages of time could do with a thorough renovation but shortage of funds stands in the way. A few years ago one of the overhead wooden beams had come loose and hit the floor. Leaking roofs and water seepage during the monsoon have become a matter of serious concern.

Events and Milestones-

Throughout the year, the Church witnessed God’s hand at work in every service, gathering and outreach effort. Each moment of fellowship reflected its commitment to glorifying God and serving the community with sincerity and purpose.

The Congregation remain deeply thankful to The Rt. Revd. Dr. Paritosh Canning, Bishop of Calcutta(CNI), whose prayerful leadership, encouragement and presence have been a continuous source of blessing and strength to our congregation.

Mother’s Day – Father’s Day – World Anglo-India Day – Seminar on “Women in Leadership” – Independence Day: Football Tournament – Teacher’s Day – Inter-Church Hymn Competition – Health Camp – Outreach Initiative: “Lunch with Jesus” at Mary Cooper Home(Home for the elderly), bringing warmth, fellowship and joy of Christ’s love to the residents. – Annual Christmas Tree Party for Children of Arunima Hospice and Mary Cooper Home. – Nine Lessons and Carols Service followed by Fellowship and Christmas Dinner. – Patronal Festival – All-Night Vigil “Vespers” drawing the Congregation and Clergy from the Diocese together in heartfelt Worship and prayers. –     

St. Paul’s Cathedral(Between 1858 – 1861); St. Johns’ Church, Consecrated on 24 June 1787; Union Chapel(1821); St. Andrew’s Church(Opened for public worship on 8 March 1818); Calcutta Hill Christian Church; CNI Wesleyan Church; St. Stephen’s Church, Kidderpore, Consecrated in 1846); St. Thomas’ Church, Mirza Ghalib Street(Opened for public Worship on November 20th 1831); St. Barnabas’ Church, Consecrated on 23rd December’ 1867; St. James Church, Kolkata, Consecrated on 25th July 1864; St. Thomas’ Church, Howrah, Consecrated in 1832; St. Luke’s Church, Bosekati; Sadhu Sundar Singh Girja, Bankra; Christ Church, Liluah (Hindi); Christ Church, Liluah (Bengali); Church of the Epiphany, Established in 1863; Jibon Jyoti Upasanaloy; St. Bartholomew’s Church; St. Johns Church Nahazari; St. Peter’s Church, Inaugurated on 20th June, 1945; St. Nicholas Church; Oxford Mission Chapel; Prabhu Jishu Mandir (Geonkhali); St. Mary’s Church, Consecrated on 16th February, 1889; Duff Church, Established in 1848; Christ Church Kolkata, Dedicated in 1839; St. George’s Church; Dedicated on 1st January 1936; Holy Trinity Church, (Opened for public Worship in November,1826); Emmanuel Church, Krishnapur, Established in 1829; St. James’ Church Baranagar; Serampore Johnnagar Church founded in 1880; Chinsurah Church, founded in 1825; St. Saviour’s Hindi Church, built in 1449; St. Saviour’s Tamil Church, started functioning in 1860; Bhowanipore Congregational Church; Osmond Memorial Church, founded in 1868;